eProfile’s database is a single file eProfile.db. It is stored in a folder along with backup files you have made (these include the date in their file names, e.g. eProfile_20180229.db).
Open the V4 Restore your work programme (Start > Programs > Foundation Stage Profile > V4 restore your work). It will display the location of the database. Make a note and close the program.
The work folder defaults to:
XP (It’s time you upgraded!) :
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FSP\Version4
Vista and Windows 7+ : C:\ProgramData\FSP\Version4
NB The work folder may need to be made visible as on some systems it is set as hidden. Make viewable by opening My Computer, selecting Tools > Folder Options or
Organise > Folder and Search Options > View options.
This will bring up a dialogue box. Click on the View Tab and select Show Hidden files and folders.
(If you used the V5 local viewer (cream coloured icon) that came out last year as a view-only copy of eProfile for local data then the data folder for that is
If there is only a file datafolderv4.txt in this folder then open it – this text file contains the location of an alternative work folder that was selected when the software was first run.
If you want to move the database to a shared drive then you can do the following:
- Create a folder on a shared drive. Ensure all users have full access to it.
- Move all files in the current work folder to the new folder.
- Create a text file named datafolderv4.txt in the (now empty) current folder and edit it so that it contains the name of the folder where the database may now be found.
- Test it out by opening eProfile and logging in. On the main screen you should see the new data folder listed.
- Copy the text file to the “current” folder (which you may need to create first) on every user’s computer. Clear any other data files that may be present.